Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Savia Bells and Machakos







Hey everyone! Thanks for being so patient, we've been quite busy lately! This past week (June 11-14) Stephanie and Brittany went to a primary school (grade 6-8) called, Savia Bells and I visited a school for the deaf in Machakos which is a 2 hour drive from Nairobi.

The girls described the school as one of the most poverty stricken schools (outside of the youth center) they've worked at. The playground area was extremely small and it consisted of a sewage strip that ran down the middle of the yard. The classrooms consisted of paper thin dividers with holes to which Brittany on occasion would peek through to make faces at Stephanie while she taught in the adjacent room. The walls between each class were built only 3/4 the way up, so you had to raise your voice so the students could hear you while you talked over the other teachers neighboring your classroom. They both had weak voices when I returned Thursday! Despite the difficult "teaching" enviornment, they taught various subjects- one being CRE (Christian Religious Education), to which they were able to add their own testimonies, and through this, a couple of children came to know Christ!

As for me, I had the opportunity to work at the Machakos School for the Deaf. This boarding school is home to approximatly 200 youth ranging ages 4-20. My first experience with the children began Tuesday at their morning assembly where 5 students would conduct worship by leading their fellow classmates through the signs of an assortment of songs. Words can NOT describe the beauty of these children signing to a song such as, "There is no God like our God" - some hummed, some closed their eyes, and some just rocked back and forth. It brought tears to my eyes each morning I watched them! My day consisted of observing various classes in different grade levels. At the end of each class I was able to share a little bit about myself - when they found out I was a special education major and that I had an interest in working with students who were deaf, they begged for me to stay there. If it wasn't for my sister getting married in August - I would have signed a contract right then and there! When Thursday came, I did not want to leave. If I hadn't had prior obligations to work in Nairobi, I would have finished up my time in Machokos!
After our fun filled adventures at the schools, we concluded our week by spending the weekend at our friend Jennifers home. Her lovely daughter Rina, took us out "American" style: We did some shopping at the infamous Masaii Market where we bargained our tails off and got a couple of steals. We ate at a resturant Sunday after church that had everything from salads, to hamburgers, to breakfast items. This satisfying lunch was followed by the movie, Next, starring Nicholas Cage. In between these outtings, there was a lot of rest and relaxation. Stephanie came down with the flu on Friday and did as much as her body would allow. She finally went to the doctor today (Tuesday) and got some medicine for this bug so she could be prepared for Steve and the girls arrival tomorrow (Wednesday).

It's hard to believe that we're already half way through the summer! Thank you everyone for your continued support and prayers!
Can't wait to see you North Side...can you believe its less than 10 days that you arrive in NAIROBI, KENYA?! Get ready to have your life changed!!!!!

4 comments:

Ryan said...

those children are beautiful!

rick h. said...

amazing -- Joyce and I are looking forward to joining you -- you guys stay safe and we'll continue to pray for you! Our lives have already been changed by this experience and we've not even left the ground yet!

Jay said...

awesome.. i'm so jealous.

Unknown said...

Am training to teach them at kenyatta university;i like them