Saturday, May 12, 2007

Friday = First FULL Day!!!!







May 11th... Today was our first full day in the schools!

Stephanie taught a couple of lessons on division, singular versus plural, and a bible lesson on trusting and obeying. She also led the students in a game of 7-up and she said they caught on fairly well and seemed to enjoy it.

My 3rd grade class received a chapter reading of "Charlotte's Web." I'm really having to scaffold them for many of the words and do a chapter summary once we're finished. I think it's a little above their grade level, but nonetheless, I think they're enjoying a read aloud. We also did a lesson on opposites, and a science lesson on water. We concluded with a couple rounds of hangmen which they thoroughly enjoyed. When I divided up the teams Boys versus Girls it was a huge hit. The girls loved parading around the room when they won - BOTH games.

After school ended at 4pm, we sat down with one of the assisstants at the school who made out a list of common phrases and words in Swahili. Just when I thought I was finished with school I'm given homework!!

But we don't mind at all - we think it's a beautiful language and it gets us one step closer to being able to "better" communicate with the children.

Just for kicks...say this: Jina lako ni nani?

Don't you love the way it rolls off your tongue? By the way, you just asked: Did you fart? (That's for you Hannah ;) ) Just kidding... you asked, "What is your name?" Start practicing 2 week team!!

Statistics show that after 8 years of age your ability to retain another language decreases - let us be the first to tell you that these statistics are very accurate! It has taken us 3 days to learn, "Abariyako" (how are you) - if Euticauls had a nickel for each time we asked him, "How do you say, How are you?" He and his family would be vacationing in the Bahamas, driving a hummer and affording the gas to drive it.

After our first full day at the school, we headed back to Euticauls' home to relax a bit before we were taken back to our Jennifer's. We ate some papayas and logged online again and celebrated some more when we saw their were 5 more posts to the last blog. If you haven't caught on, we LOVE it when you guys posts or send us emails/facebook messages!

We ask that you continue to lift us up in your thoughts and prayers -specifically that we will be able to commit these basic fundamentals of Swahili to memory.

In His Grip,
Chrissy

PS: We prayed for those of you that did the Silent Auction today, we can't wait to hear how much money you guys raised for Romania and Africa!!! Can't wait to see you in just a couple of months!!

12 comments:

katedub said...

Way to go Steph!!! Comm. major teaching classes like it ain't no thing!!! YESSSSSSSSSS! That's so awesome!

Remember - "meditating on the Lord's work" is the most important thing you two can do while you're over there. So just stay in the apartment at night and keep that up. ;-P

P.S. "Sasa?" is how to ask a little kid how they are if they're being shy. You might've picked up on that already but it has like a 99.822 response rate. :)

Ryan said...

mzungu!

jdotmorris said...

How fun! Those are amazing pictures! Schweet hair Chrissy! ;) I'm glad that you have your own classroom! Hopefully it can count as your student teaching. hehe. Did you take your favorite book with you? You should definitely do a lesson on pigeons and hot dogs. Or your lesson that has the "oh no, he has no nose...oh no, he has no hands" haha! Just some suggestions! :) Anyway, miss you! Stay safe!
P.S. how's the bruise?

katedub said...

Jessica means how's the scrotal eccymosis. How IS that mug, by the way?! No movement I hope.

Sweet hairdo by the way Christine. HA!

Steph - I hope you're having an awesome time! You need to write some stuff on here too...I know Chrissy's overbearing and all, but let's hear from the cool one in Kenya! :-P

Anonymous said...

Hey girls! I am so stinkin' excited for all that ya'll are doing already! I cannot wait to join you (2 days earlier than planned thanks to Chrissy's sneaky flight booking!) Yep, I'll be leaving June 3rd instead of June 5th, Steph, so get excited! Let me know if ya'll need me to bring anything! Love you both!

PS - I second Dubs on Stephanie needed to write some stuff too...haha love you chrissers! :)

Kelly said...

O my gosh! This is so weird, I'm having so many flash backs. Guys, I'm so excited and proud of you! I'm sure you went into this knowing that you were going to have an amazing life changing experience. But really you have no idea! Soak it all in, every minute of it. Because trust me there are going to be so many times when your heart breaks to be back. Hold nothing back of yourselves: completely jump into culture and relationships.
I remember the nights being pretty hard with being able to sleep. I don't know if you brought and ear plugs but those are amazing (I might have forgot to mention that, ops sorry guys. I can mail them if you want.) Anyway, sleep will get better. Its the same with the food, you reach a point where you just don't care any more. Anyway...I love you guys and can't wait to hear what God taught you while you were there.
PS prayer journal and write down everything. You'll want it later, trust me. Even if you think it's common since, or something you'd never forget (its easier to do then you think.)Ok Bye.

Kelly said...

Steph do our roomies know about this site? Because I can email a link to them if not.

NaeNae said...

Mable you are too cool!!! Mason and Mitchel thought it was neat to see you on the internet. It is hard for them to wrap there brain around the concept. Rock on!

Jessica In Asia said...

wow, its sooo amazing to follow along with yall!! yall are amazing girls and a TON of peeps are praying for yall!! God is soo amazing! I know he is pleased to see that yall followed what He wanted yall to do !! :-) love both of you!
Griff

JoyceH said...

We are so proud of what you're doing. Just continue letting the Lord speak through you and use you. Then stand back and watch what awesome things He does!
Blaze that trail for the rest of us who are soon to follow. Glad I am on your team, Chrissy, because you'll know all the ins and outs and language by the time I get there!
Know that you are in our prayers always.
Great pictures! Keep sending them!
Joyce Hendricks

DeCole said...

Wow!! I am definitely LOVIN the blogs!!! As I read each one I feel as if I am there with you. It’s like I can picture everything in my mind, and well I can’t wait to get there to see if it is anything like what I imagined. My heart was filled with joy as you described how the children were so eager to learn. Your description honestly reminds me of a more personal story I’ve heard before (Desegregation of schools during the American Civil Rights Movement,), but in any case it’s very touching. Seems like you guys are off to a great start, paving the way for the rest of us, just know my prayers are with you guys. With that being said be encourage and take care.

Kathryn M. said...

Hey girl (Chrissy)! So excited to hear from you and know u arrived safely! The pics are great and the hair looks like mine everyday (with dealing with 3 kids), remember its a "bonus" day in even US when a mother of 3 even gets the shower! Ha-Ha! I'm loving you are learning the Swahili lang., it seems so amazing! I took a grad course in language and remember learning a new language was nearly impossible after puberty. At least without having an accent in it. I wrote down your sayings in Swahili, so I'd remember them when you blogged. I'm so happy for you and can't wait to hear more about your accomplishments, challenges, and even heartaches and homesickness. You are one special person to be in Nairobi! What a wonderful mid-life, -- mid-20's crisis!!! (Much more critical and life altering than being a flight attendant!) Definitely more fullfilling and a life altering experience. We'll keep you in our prayers, along with everyone with you! Trust in God, as he as called you to be there and will always be with you in your journey! LYA, Kathryn M.