Saturday, May 12, 2007

Thursday: Half Day in the School


We have officially made it through jet lag and are adjusting well to our new home: Nairobi, Kenya!

Our first official day was Thursday (May 10): Euticauls picked us up at 9:30 to take us to the Youth Center. Words can't express the conditions we rode through. At first, we were riding through a neighborhood filled with beautiful, extravagent houses (literally homes you may see on MTV Cribs) and within a blink of an eye, it went from wealth to poverty. What a contrast it was. The roads weren't paved, pot holes everywhere (I could picture my mom calling the highway department wanting them to come fill the pot holes), homes made of cut boards and mud, children unattended, adults in small shacks selling 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand clothes/belts/shoes, etc.

I asked Euticauls how they perceived Americans and he said they think we're rich. For a split moment, I wanted to protest, but I'm glad I held my tongue. Although I'd like to say I'm one poor college student who racked up some debt to make this trip possible, compared to these Kenyans - I have it made. And I do. We are extremely spoiled.

When we arrived at the Youth Center, the children began screaming, giggling, and singing- almost as if in unison, "How are you?! How are you?!" We immediatly lit up, anxious to step out of the car to love on the children. Once we got out, they swarmed around Stephanie and I wanting to touch every part of our body: our hands, arms, face, hair. I was filled with a joy I've never experienced wanting to cry and laugh at the same time - but had to hold it together in fear they would think I'm some luny from America!

After we were shown around the school, we were immediatly thrown into the classroom. Stephanie is working with a young lady by the name of Anne, in a 3rd grade class. They are getting along really well and although Stephanie reiterates on a daily basis, "I'm not teacher material, I'm a communication major!" She's doing a fine job because I can hear her in my classroom that neighbors hers!

That's right, I have my own classroom - at least for now!! The teacher is on maternity leave and they still haven't found someone to replace her, so I'm filling in for now. Just wondering Lander Professors: Can this count as my student teaching? I mean.... I'll be in the schools for a minimum of 100 days, and I'll forward you my lesson plans, lesson reflections, attendence log, video tape/reflection - not to mention I already have a cooperating teacher and advisor on stand by to sign the forms. Food for thought :)

The students are extremely well behaved. When we enter, they stand to greet us with a "Hello madam, how are you today?" The adult/teacher will respond and ask a series of questions until they are told to have a seat. The students thank the adult and they sit and wait for instruction. I really wanted to brush off this ritual, thinking I didn't need this form of welcoming when I entered, but I have to remind myself: This is their form of respect to an adult and/or teacher, and I need to embrace rather than dismiss this culture.

Our lessons that Stephanie and I taught went smoothly, however, we are both in agreement of how heartbreaking it is to see the lack of school material these children have. Their notepads are notebook paper binded by newspaper, pencils are used until they are almost touching the eraser, chalkboards are scuffed up, and the eraser for the chalkboard is a small sample size piece of carpet. (Katherine M., I can not thank you enough for all the school supplies you gave me to distribute - we are currently dividing up the crayons, and will have to divide up the notebooks/paper so it will be evenly distributed to the students - I promise to take lots of pictures so you can see what you did!!)

I was disgusted with myself when I thought of all the times I began taking notes in class and tore the sheet of paper out because I didn't like the way I wrote my name or how I began a sentence. These kids do NOT waste. They use up the ENTIRE sheet of paper...front and back.

They are well mannered, disciplined, hardworking, and do as they are told. They are truly every teachers ideal students.

12:30 the kids are dismissed for lunch. Usually the Youth Center provides them a meal, but they didn't have money to fund meals this past week so they are being sent home for lunch. The Youth Center is completely faith based and relies on support from ministries and anyone else that is led to give, to provide for the students.

It was only a half day for us on Thursday - We went to Euticuals home where Jane prepared a feast for us and even had the chance to log on the internet. Stephanie and I had a small celebration over our 4 comments we had posted from our last blog....

(**Luj you too mom - we are meditating hardcore - budders - Hear that?)

Euticauls took us back to the Bed and Breakfast where we washed up, had dinner, and spent the rest of the evening journaling outside on the patio, under the veranda.

(Friday: To be continued on the next blog.....)

1 comment:

Ryan said...

beautiful picture! love them as you've been loved. love them as Christ loves them.