Monday, July 23, 2007

A Note From Each of the Girls...




The pictures above are of Baptist Chapel, where we attend church and where Euti is the pastor; a view of one of the local slums, Koragosho, where we worked at the Youth Center; an African sunset from our safari


From Britain:


Well, our days are winding down here in Kenya. It's Monday night, and we're leaving next Wednesday. My heart is a bit torn as our departure is creeping in on us...I have loved it here these last 2 months. I've experienced so much here...from seeing and working in the slums, to living in an apartment with some of my close friends, trying many different foods (some good, some bad!), going to 2 African weddings (which last ALL day), seeing some of God's incredible creations like zebras and giraffes and African sunsets, and making so many new friends in Christ. The people of Kenya have encouraged me so much in my faith just by seeing their passion and love for our God....they have no inhibitions and worship greatly even though some of them have little. As I have sat in the chairs of a few different churches here, one with dirt floors and mud walls, I couldn't help but take note of the heart of worship that happens each week. In Kamuwongo, where Euti is from, people walk for miles to come to church on Sunday. There's no electricity, no cushiony chairs, no sound system or microphones, no computers or powerpoints, etc. But there is more glory and praise and honor that is lifted up to God than I have experienced anywhere in America. We have so many distractions and complain about petty things: mispelled words on the screen, the music being too loud, the music being too quiet, the preaching being too long or too short, etc. How foolish we must be to let these things take away from our worship to God! I've realized my need to worship God unashamedly and without distractions. I hope and pray God will use this experience here to shape and mold me to be more like Jesus, and I hope that you will be encouraged by the many pictures and stories you all will see and hear when we return. Can't wait to see you all!!!!!!!



From Jessica:


Well the trip to the bush went amazing! It was quite an interesting journey.... 3 1/2 hour drive just to get there and we had 9 people in Euti's car on the way there and 10 on the way home ... just use your imagination! As soon as we arrived we headed straight to the wedding. It was very different from what we would expect out of a wedding in America and like Brita said.... definately a lot longer! After the wedding we drove out to Euti's mothers house where we stayed the night. It was amazing out there... more of what you picture Africa to be like. Very simple lifestye and no city lights. That night Euti's brothers killed/cooked a goat for us to eat for supper and we also got to sleep under the stars that night! I think that had to be one of my favorite moments from this trip... I just love to look up at the stars... I think its an amazing reminder not only of how small I am but how big God is and how no matter where in the world I am He is always looking out for me and He definately has such bigger plans than I could ever imagine. This journey so far has made me realize more and more at what an amazing God we serve and how it is such a blessing to just be a part of His plan. The people here have truely blessed my heart with their amazing spirits and they have been such a great example of undignified worship! The past few weeks have completely flown by and I know that I am going to miss the people that I have met but it is a great feeling knowing that we are leaving this area into some amazing hands! I can see that God has great plans for Kenya, Nairobi, and especially for the people of Baptist Chapel! They are so outward focused and ready to serve and I can't wait to see what God has in store for them!




well.. its getting late but just check back tomorrow to hear from Christine, Rachel, and Euti!!

No comments: